Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Alex Colville

Artist #4 Alex Colville

I am very impressed by the works of Canadian painter, Alex Colville. His photo-realistic work is eye candy. However, I'm not sure that the subject matter or the style are quite me. However, there are aspects that I can appreciate. For example, in the images below Colville (suggested to me by Jess Riva Cooper) has worked out a very detailed sketch for the painting Ocean Limited -- a sketch that is far more mathematically involved than I thought a sketch could be. This is what especially impresses me for my future work. I've noticed that my better compositions are the ones where I specifically worked it out using the Rule of Thirds, for example where some of my lesser works are just thrown together wherever my brain sees fit.
1994_18a.jpg
Alex Colville. Ocean Limited. Oil and synthetic resin on board. 1962.
1998_333_1.jpg
Alex Colville. Sketch for Ocean Limited. 1962.

No comments:

Post a Comment