Thursday, March 28, 2013

Duane Michals

Artist #5 Duane Michals

     Duane Michals is a very interesting photographer. Though many of his works don't resonate with me, there were a few that I found particularly interesting mostly because they remind me so much of Georges Méliès' films. The idea of using in-camera techniques to trick the viewer with fantastical illusionist images is very fascinating to me. In fact, I'd like to try out some of these techniques for an Independent Study.
     It's interesting to me that Michals wasn't recommended to me for this purpose. I had expressed an interest in "decisive moment" photography as previously discussed. And though in my opinion, Michals' photographs are staged, he does put his subjects in a sealed "moment" by writing (by hand) beneath the print. One image I had found a few weeks ago but can't find now is of Michals and his wife on their bed embracing with writing below it expressing proof that she had loved him once.
img_01
Duane Michals. Magritte with hat. 1965.
img_01
Duane Michals. Joseph Cornell. 1972.
img_01
Duane Michals. Dr. Duanis' Famous Magic Act. 1996.
Duane Michals was recommended to me by Cory Peeke and Mike Sell.

No comments:

Post a Comment